Monday, August 31, 2015

Review: It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleyas

           It Happened One Autmn by Lisa Kleyas
Series: Wallflowers #2
Release Date: September 27, 2005
Publisher: Avon 
Source: Borrowed from Library 
Four young ladies enter London society with one necessary goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So they band together, and a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

It happened at the ball...

Where beautiful but bold Lillian Bowman quickly learned that her independent American ways weren't entirely "the thing." And the most disapproving of all was insufferable, snobbish, and impossible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, London's most eligible aristocrat.

It happened in the garden...
When Marcus shockingly—and dangerously—swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed...thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act!

It happened one autumn...
Marcus was a man in charge of his own emotions, a bedrock of stability. But with Lillian, every touch was exquisite torture, every kiss an enticement for more. Yet how could he consider taking a woman so blatantly unsuitable...as his bride?
I can't remember the last series I fell in love with before I came across the Wallflowers Series. After reading each book, I have to get my hands on the next installment and at this point I have four more books in this series. Anyways, when I came across It Happened One Autumn, I was surprised and excited to see that Marcus Marsden was the love interest to Lillian Bowman. I loved him in the prequel and Lillian was the fiery, opinionated Wallflower I connected most to so seeing them come together was a pleasure!


Lillian Bowman was a woman after my own heart. So similar to my own personality, I loved how vivacious, opinionated and open she was. She was always doing something, rarely sitting still which made reading It Happened One Autumn so much more fun! She was in a world where propriety and lady like behavior was expected but being the American she was, Lillian wouldn't couldn't let society dictate what she did with her life. Seeing her and Marcus butt heads was so much fun. And speaking of Marcus, while he isn't my favorite hero, I liked seeing his turmoil about falling for a woman unlike any he'd ever met before. He's just as stubborn as Lillian but his aristocratic upbringing clashed often with Lillian's freedoms.

And of course I can't talk about a romance if I don't talk about how the two fell in love and let me tell you, It Happened One Autumn had one of my all time favorite tropes. Hate to love romances, for me, are THE best kind of romances. Like, there's no room for negotiation. The next closest would be second chance romance but that's not what we're talking about right now! So from the moment Lillian and Marcus meet, they don't get along. Lillian likes to do what she wants and is willing to fight for it. Marcus isn't used to woman offering their opinions freely or doing what they please. Her American upbringing and his English, nobleman upbringing are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. But no one can stop love and Lillian and Marcus can't help but be drawn to each other. There is so much banter and arguing and awkward situations that I had the goofiest look on my face the entire time I read it!

Overall, I really enjoyed It Happened One Autumn. While Lillian is the one Wallflower, thus far, that I've connected to the most, I didn't love her story as I think I'm going to love Evie's or Daisy's. It might have to do with the immense amount of drama at the very end of the novel. It's going to make reading the next book in this series a very interesting experience for sure but I think the suddenness of the events bothered me a little. Otherwise, another win for Lisa Kleypas for sure! I don't understand how she writes such wonderful stories guys, but I love every second of it!
BFF 
This book is pretty great but it’s missing something that would make it extremely special. I might re-read this book, possibly more than once. I would recommend this book to lots of my friends and some of my colleagues. 
I LOVE the red! It plays off Lillian's dark hair so well and really like the dress pop!

It Happened One Autumn was such a fun read! I loved the hate to love trope and Lillian is the one Wallflower I connect to the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS