Thursday, May 05, 2016

Blog Tour: New Charity Blues Review

 Hi all! For the New Charity Blues Blog Tour, I'm going to be reviewing the book!

Release Date: April 12, 2016
Publisher: 47North
Source: Publisher via Blog Tour 
In the wake of a devastating plague, two communities emerge as bastions of survival. One is called the City, and its people scrabble for scraps in the wasteland. The other, New Charity, enjoys the bounty of its hydroelectric dam and refuses City denizens so much as a drop of precious water. When City-dweller Cressyda inherits her father’s ranch within New Charity, she becomes intent on opening the dam to all—no matter the cost.

But when Syd reunites with her old best friend, Casandra, a born seer and religious acolyte, she realizes that her plans could destroy the fragile lives they’ve built in order to survive. What’s more, the strange magic securing the dam’s operations could prove deadly if disturbed. Yet when Syd discovers evidence that her father might have been murdered, she is more determined than ever to exact revenge on New Charity’s corrupt.

Pitted against Cas, as well as her own family, Syd must decide how to secure the survival of both settlements without tipping them over the brink to utter annihilation. In this intense and emotional reimagining of the Trojan War epic, two women clash when loyalty, identity, community, and family are all put to the ultimate test.
There's something about a post-apolocyptic world that I love reading about. Maybe it's the fact that I'm always interested to see what the author can imagine the world we live in now to look like years in the future or the fact that I would never survive in a world like this that I love to read them. Living near a dam myself and having the privilege of getting more than enough clean water to drink and live with, I was excited to see what this world that Camille Griep would come up with. 

One of my favorite aspects of this book was the fact that it's lead by strong female characters. Sure, they're not perfect by any means and I was annoyed with them on occasion but it was never an act that made me wish it wasn't told in their point of view. The women in this book were layered and led complex lives. While it seems that it should be an easy task to get the City people access to the dam, it proves to be far more challenging forcing our main character and her friends to meet these challenges. 

There were, however, some aspects of this book that left me wanting--needing--more. The romance was a little off for me. If you've read my blog at all, you know that romance is something I value in books and I love having them regardless of anything else. But this love for romance has lead to an understanding of a good romance and I'm not sure I was on board with the romance in this book the entire time. I wanted more from this. I know that this is incredibly vague of me to statement and it obviously has a lot to do with personal taste so don't let this get you down! Yet another aspect of this book that I wanted to know more about was the politics. I think that we got a good glimpse of how this world works but as someone studying political science, and someone who has to look in depth about the topics, I could't help but ask many questions. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book! Even though I wanted more from the romance, I like the world that Griep created in this world. I had to think twice about my ability to turn on the faucet and how truly fortunate I am to have such readily available source of power. As a political science major, I found this book to be quite intriguing. 

Camille Griep lives just north of Seattle with her partner, Adam, and their dog Dutch(ess). Born in Billings, Montana, she moved to Southern California to attend Claremont McKenna College, graduating with a dual degree in Biology and Literature.

She wrote her way through corporate careers in marketing, commercial real estate, and financial analysis before taking an extended sabbatical to devote more time to her craft.

She has since sold short fiction and creative nonfiction to dozens of online and print magazines. She is the editor of Easy Street and is a senior editor at The Lascaux Review. She is a 2012 graduate of Viable Paradise, a residential workshop for speculative fiction novelists.

Her first novel, Letters to Zell, was released in July 2015 47North. Look for New Charity Blues in April of 2016.

And here's the tour schedule:

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS